Why You Should Upskill Yourself - Dom Scott, Alexander Hall
Dom Scott, Managing Director at Alexander Hall, shares his career story and career advice for young people. Alexander Hall is a mortgage company that helps people figure out the finances to buy a home. Dom is a people-focused leader who manages around 70 people in his daily role. He believes that all leaders have a primary responsibility for the wellbeing of their staff. As a result, he’s cultivated an inclusive culture at Alexander Hall, has won the British Mortgage Award for Best Business Leader and has overseen Alexander Hall winning an array of consumer-voted awards. In this interview, he shares some great advice that all young people can learn from around their mental attitude, having a proactive approach at work and standing by your values.
- What it’s like to manage a large number of people
- How he’s progressed his career by being proactive
- How listening and learning led to his first managerial role
- Why he would advise his younger self to have humility
- Why he believes we don’t have strengths or weaknesses
- Why seeing ‘perfection’ on social media can be demotivating
- His values and why you should know your own
The Circl Interview Series asks leaders of the UK’s most exciting businesses to share their career paths and advice with the next generation of talent. Check out our other interviews with professionals from organisations such as PwC, Facebook and Barclays.